This two-story Greek Revival home was built in by the Davis family in 1851. The house was constructed using hand-made brick and features ancient cedars leading visitors to the massive portico supported by four Corinthian columns with cast iron acanthus leaf capitals. The home and the land around it was purchased by Thomas Finley in the 1920s. The house was burned and almost completely destroyed during the Civil War, though the exterior brick walls survived. The Davis family moved into another smaller house on the property, and the ruins of Davis House stood for over 100 years. The late Dr. John and Mrs. Margaret Finley Shackleford restored the home to its former grandeur and subsequently donated it and the lands to the National Audubon Society.
Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.